So far I have felt a little sheepish saying that we are "homeschooling," partially for a variety of reasons. I guess there is some hesitation on my part to commit to being one of those "homeschooling families" - like this:
However, over the summer I decided to start a kindergarten curriculum with Lily, who was showing signs of being ready to read. We really are enjoying what we've done so far, and I'm reminding myself to "un-school" even though I am loosely following the My Father's World curriculum, because we think that really the best thing for our girls right now is to have consistency at home, and to grow and learn at their own pace!
For the curious, our routine resembles this:
(all times are approximate, and the schedule may or may not be thrown out the window at any time due to tantrums, diaper issues, or if anything else goes wrong... ;-) )
8am Wake up
Get dressed
Eat Breakfast
| Idyllic. This ALWAYS happens. |
| Oh yeah, here is reality. |
Attempt at kitchen-clean up
9am Put Clara down for her morning nap, and do "school"
| Phonics! "I hear a in cat and man"! |
| Making puppets. |
Play-doh trees
| Saturday- Dad's seed experiment... |
| Mama's favorite- a genetics lesson.... |
whenever attention spans are waning,
we move on to playing outside,
cooking, cleaning up the house
(or building a house out of blocks),
laundry (great practice sorting by color and owner!),
dress-up - etc.
11:30am lunch, reading
12:30/1pm: NAPS
And the rest is just usual day-to-day stuff, usually going to the library and errands work better after nap time or on our BSF or gymnastics days while we are already out. But I've found that keeping our mornings pretty much the same helps us all have a good day!
Lily is currently requesting to go to kindergarten at school next year, and she wants to ride the bus. I told her when we know where we'll be next year we'll look into it!












1 comment:
Elia and I had fun looking at your pictures! Love the video!
Post a Comment